1. Short Listing of applications: This is the first stage of the selection procedure. In this the applications are shortlisted and the shortlisted candidates are called for the further process.
2. Preliminary Selection Board Interview: This is the first stage after the shortlisting of applications. It can be conducted at any of the centers which are Kolkata, Noida, Mumbai, and Chennai. It is conducted in two phases;
- The first phase is the Reasoning test. In this test the candidates are made to sit in a hall and then the questions are given on the projector screen, you have to mark the answers on an OMR sheet. Once a question goes there is no chance that you can go back to it. You are advised to take blue/black ball point. Be careful while marking the answers. It is an elimination test of duration around 40-60 minutes. The results are declared after 2-3 hours of this test and the successful candidates only are called for the further tests.
- The second phase is the PP&DT or the Picture perception and Description Test. This is same like the test conducted in the SSB Interview. You are advised to be careful and observe the picture shown very minutely. You have to see the picture for 30 seconds and then write the details like age, mood, sex etc. of the characters seen. You have to write a story based on the characters seen in the picture. Then a discussion test follows. Where you are divided in groups of 15-20 candidates and each candidate has to narrate his/her own story then the group discusses and arrives at a common group story. After this also the candidates are shortlisted and then the shortlisted candidates get a call for the Final Selection Board.
3. Final Selection Board Interview: This is a four day test which is conducted only in the Noida Center. It follows the same pattern of the SSB Interview after screening procedure. This is a personality test in which three assessors assess the candidate. The Psychology Tests happen on the first day, the GT Tests may happen on second and third day, interviews may be scheduled on any of the four days and on the fourth day Board Conference is held after which results are announced.
4. The psychologist tests the candidate through the means of psych tests which consist of Thematic Apperception Test (TAT), Word Association Test (WAT), Situation Reaction Test (SRT) and Self-Description Test (SDT). The candidate’s response in these tests helps the psychologist to understand the personality of the candidate and decide his suitability for the job.
5. The Next Assessor is the Group Testing Officer or the GTO which tests the candidates based on their practical group and individual performance. The tests conducted in the Coast Guard are two group discussion, one group planning exercise and lecturette. You are advised to be agile and enthusiastic throughout the GT Series.
6. The next assessor is the Interviewing Officer. He tests the candidate based on the response he/she given in the personal interview, which is a one on one interview. The personal interview questions may range from the personal sphere of a candidate to the day-today happenings in the world.
7. The final day a board conference is held where all the three assessors along with the board president sit and the candidates appear one by one, each is asked some general questions related to stay and food etc. After the conference the result is declared.
8. Medical and Merit: After the results the successful candidates are sent for medicals, if they have applied for flying pilot then they are sent for Pilot Aptitude and Battery Test (PABT) at AFSB Dehradun or AFSB Mysore. The final Merit list decides the final selection.